Obstacle training FAQs answered:
– All clinics are suitable for newcomers to TREC.
– All clinics can be done in hand, ridden or a mixture. You can get on/off as you wish.
– I’m happy to accommodate young or rescued horses with shorter private sessions in hand. Just let me know their age/experience and I’ll let you know lesson length & price.
– You don’t have to go faster than walk if you don’t want to, but there’ll usually be the chance to do some things at speed if you like.
– Young riders are welcome, as are older ones & those with physical issues and/or additional needs. Just let me know the situation and I’ll make reasonable adjustments.
– The session will start with simpler obstacles before increasing in technicality. I’ll explain each obstacle as we go along, putting it in the context of an adventurous hack.
Arena PTV obstacles
Group lessons riding or leading around, over, through & under a range of mobile obstacles in an enclosed arena. Ideal introduction to TREC or cross training for other disciplines.
Outdoor PTV obstacles
Group lessons around a mixture of mobile obstacles to go around, through & under, plus real terrain features to jump, climb & cross – more like a real competition PTV course.
Super spooky TREC obstacles
Sessions designed to ‘lifeproof’ your horse for the extra challenges & course dressing seen at TREC competitions – roadworks, textures/colours to walk over, obstacles to push under/past, spectators, flags etc.
Day camps – all three phases
Tuition in all phases, great for newcomers to have a taster day and for experienced combinations to improve scores:
PTV obstacles – terrain and mobile obstacles.
Control of paces – practice and advice to improve your slow canter and fast walk.
POR navigation – 2 hours on foot followed by a practice ride out on an off-road route with a map.
Map skills – training on foot, usually a full day
We will work on: accuracy in map copying, keeping track of your speed, using landmarks near and far, navigating in woodland and across moorland, techniques for working out where you are, how to do grids and bearings sections.
The morning will be inside, then after lunch we will go for a walk for a couple of hours to try out your new skills.